What is new this month….
We finished up the Opinion writing unit and have started Poetry. The students did a great job and should be proud of themselves. We’ve started a new Reading unit which is on Non-Fiction. We placed the students in groups according to their interest. Some students are going to be reading books on transportation, some on wolves and some about penguins. Their choice of topics will change but our focus is having the students learn how to explore and read Non-fiction books. We also hope to encourage more conversation between our students and learning how to work together as a team.
What we are currently doing…
Our morning meetings have been more than just going over the days of the week and weather. We have incorporated SEL (social emotional learning) where we asked each other how we are feeling by using the mood meter chart. We also listen to stories on different social situations and discuss the stories. In addition to SEL, we’ve also implemented math is our morning meeting by asking the students how many days have we’ve been in school, the number before and after, different ways to make that number, what is the value of each digit and how to spell the number. This has help students with their number sense but has also been a great review on place value and addition.
What to look forward to…
- 100 Days of School!- Please look out for upcoming announcements on how we will be celebrating.
- Learning and Celebrating Black History month- We will be reading and learning about well known black people in history and the differences they have made in our society.
- Math- 3rd and 4th grade are on Module two and have just finished their mid-module assessment. They are currently learning about measurement using units such as milligram, grams, and kilograms. The upcoming lessons will be on multiplication and division.
- Math- 2nd grade are currently learning how to add two digit numbers and regrouping. The next topic will be on learning how to add two digit numbers in the vertical way.
- Writing- The students will be writing their own poetry and learning about different types of poems.
- Reading- The new unit is on Non-fiction. Students will be in reading groups and work together on learning about their chosen topic.
If you have any questions about the curriculum or need help in supporting your child, please do not hesitate to contact us via class dojo! Also look out for announcements posted by the school on upcoming workshops.