All New York City Department of Education Schools are required to have either a Parent Association (PA), or Parent Teacher Association (PTA) to advocate for students and families, update parents and families about the school, and plan and run activities for parents and families.
SCI PTA 2021-2022
PTA meetings will be held virtually via Zoom until further notice.
All of the following are automatically members of their school’s PA/PTA: Parents, Step-parents, Legally appointed guardians, Foster parents, Persons in parental relation.
PTA Meetings – 2021-2022
Thursday, September 30, 2021
PTA Executive Board
President – Adrianna Calixto
Co-President – Fang Chen
Secretary – Autumn Weintraub
Treasurer – Juan Lin
The PTA’s Executive Board is responsible for the PA/PTA Budget, events and other activities. Members of the Executive Board are elected by membership annually.
More about the PTA
PA/PTAs can support schools in a number of ways, including:
- Hosting parent workshops
- Organizing activities for families–both academic and social
- Raising funds
- Running volunteer events
All PA/PTAs must hold at least:
- Ten monthly general membership meetings
- Ten executive board meetings throughout the year
- Quarterly meetings with the principal
Members must receive a minimum of 10 calendar days’ notice before the monthly meeting. The notice must include:
- The date, time, place that the meeting will be held
- An agenda items that will be discussed
PA/PTA Elections must be held in the Spring. At that time, the three mandatory officers (president, recording secretary and treasurer) are elected. This must happen before the last day of school. The election rules are specified in Chancellor’s Regulation A-660.
A PA/PTA is responsible for its own finances, and must obey certain rules and guidelines about banking, fundraising, and record-keeping. Any association
Any complaint about a PA/PTA election is known as a grievance. It must:
- Be submitted in writing (email address–or Identifying Whom).
- Focus on a specific and material violation of either the:
- Chancellor’s Regulation A-660
- the PA/PTA bylaws